Thursday, 25 February 2010

ONE MAN RIOT

...

I have a script

I have a show

Its unlike anything i’ve done before

Firstly, its a story

so its storytelling, which is new to me

And also, its about me

...

I thought i’d be doing a show of ten or so new performance poems

and i have enough i like at this stage for

a show i like a lot

to be well doable come June

But i’ve kept coming back

And coming back

And coming back

To a thing i wrote five years ago in France,

Dec/ Jan 04/05

About something that happened to me in 1990 at the Poll Tax Riot

And its a story, a ghost story in fact

So i have to learn some new skills

Storytelling

Which is a different ballgame to performance poetry

Though less technically demanding than any show i’ve done before

[unless it gets hyper-theatrical, which it might]

But which is story led

When everything i’ve ever done has been writing led

And its now Late Feb

Meaning i have 14 weeks to get it right

To get more gags in

And work out the physicality

Will premiere it in Edinburgh in late May

And 14 weeks is a long time

Long enough to get consummate at new-ish skills

To come up with a number of decent gags

And easily enough to iron out the many kinks in the tale

If i work hard enough

very hard

hundreds and hundreds of hours hard

...

Plus its about me

When very little i’ve done has been about me

Some have been about a kind of caricatured me

But nothing like so personal

…

Back in Sept I showed it to TJ Dawe

and Jonno Katz

and Rob Gee

And they all said, you gotta do it

So here we go

My only regret is that, if I do a show next year of performance poems

It will have been a way too long, 4 years since I did a show of new pieces

…

The romping success in 2008 was one monster poem about shopping

Biggest show on the whole fringe tour

2009 was my misguided Greatest Hits show

So, with a story this year, I don’t do a show of new poems till 2011

And, more than anything else, I am a performance poet

And 4 years is a long time

…

Whatever, that’s it

This is it

The new show

ONE MAN RIOT

Here we go...

...

trepidatious excitement

cautious glee

One-Man Riot

,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment